Vegetable Grower / Farmer
Starting from October 2021
The Cloughjordan Community Farm, located on 10 acres in Cloughjordan Ecovillage, is Ireland’s largest example of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA).
We are looking for a dynamic experienced grower to join our team and help progress a unique community approach to regeneration and resilience.
- Are you an experienced farmer / horticulturist with a passion for agroecological, regenerative practices?
- Do you have the skills, imagination and an enthusiasm for community?
- Would you be interested in playing a role in further developing our community farm?
Read on for more details and how to apply for this post.
Cloughjordan Community Farm
Cloughjordan Community Farm exists to demonstrate a viable model for diversified, sustainable, small-scale Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) through responsible stewardship of the land. We respect the soil, water and air through organic methods of growing, by conserving water and by reducing fossil fuel emissions.
The community farm has developed a strategic plan to support us in the next phase in our growth, and have an infrastructure in place to coordinate activities such as support for our long and short-term volunteers, distribution, membership management and have a system of mutual accountability via the Farm Coordination group and wider Membership meetings. We are also now at an exciting stage in development with a new education area and the establishment of our Food Hub, providing sustainable routes to market for the farm, growers involved with the farm, and for local producers through a digital marketplace.
As Ireland’s first CSA and still the biggest example of its kind, we are keen to identify someone self-motivated, energetic and innovative, who cares about biodiversity and soil health and, most importantly, is committed to implementing chemical free, sustainable farming methods.
The Vegetable Farmer/ grower role includes:
- Maintaining and enhancing a sustainable, regenerative system of food production.
- Coordinating production and distribution of food to CSA members
- Managing and working with (Irish and European) volunteers.
- Engaging in the farm coordination structures and membership
- Working machinery and irrigation systems
- Building biodiversity and soil
- Promoting seed saving
- Managing and improving our farm fertility especially our compost
- Improving growing methods for resilience and implementing new techniques in response to a changing climate where appropriate
Required experience and competencies
- Agricultural/horticultural training, preferably with an ecological focus
- Experience working on a farm, or similar area, using ecological/ sustainable methods.
- Interest in ecology, biodiversity and soil health
- Knowledge of Regenerative agriculture practices and Permaculture approaches
- Experience in farm machinery use and tractor driving with full license (2 years’ experience preferable)
- Competency in English language
- Good communication skills
- Commitment to equity and collaboration
- Excellent management and delegation skills
- The ability to work within a diverse team
- Willingness to engage with and teach volunteers
Desirable experience and useful competencies
- Experience leading on production on a farm using organic (agroecological\, regenerative) methods
- Field-scale vegetable production experience
- Willingness to learn new approaches
- Digital capabilities
- Enthusiasm for developing and improving the Farm
- Interest and experience in community living
- Experience of cooperatives, or community-led initiatives
- Desire to commit longer term, 3-5 years.
Terms of employment
- Period of employment: 1 year contract with the intention of renewal
- Location: Cloughjordan, Tipperary, Ireland
- Remuneration: €25,000+.
If you would like to apply for this post please submit a letter of motivation outlining your experience and initial ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 26th July, 2021
Find out more: www.cloughjordancommunityfarm.ieFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/CloughjordanCommunityFarm/