On Farm Seed Saving Course – 5th October 2019
Cloughjordan Community Farm is now offering a new set of half day and full day Farm-Based Seed Saving courses with open pollinated heritage seeds.
This is a practical, farm based seed saving course, based on selecting from the best varieties you already grow. Importantly, this course teaches seed saving without the requirement for on or off farm fridges.
Kevin Dudley has been involved in seed saving and sustainable agriculture for many years, and all over the world. His seed work has taken him from the Irish Seed Savers in Clare, to Koanga seeds in New Zealand and an ecological horticulture qualification from the Centre for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems University of California Santa Cruz.
Course Content, Saturday 5th October: BOOK NOW
- The course will cover onion, lettuce, brassicas, tomato, parsnip and courgette.
- Selection, saving, harvesting, processing, storing, overwintering and assessing.
- Understanding types of seed and family identification in an open pollination, farm-based context.
- Understanding how to place, plant, pollinate and observe your crops.
- Knowling best practice in selection, saving, harvesting processing, storing, overwintering and assessing your crops.
Please note when you register your booking there is a drop down menu for you to select your ticket type.
- Course Fee €50 (excludes lunch)
- Course Fee with lunch €60
PLEASE INDICATE IN THE SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FIELD IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL DIETARY REQUIREMENT SUCH AS VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN.
Cloughjordan Community Farm, The Eco Village, Cloughjordan, County Tipperary.
Cloughjordan Community Farm is a member owned and operated horticulture smallholding in the Irish midlands. About 75 members (plus their children) are supplied with agroecologically produced vegetables twice weekly. Members pay the farmer’s wages and for all requirements via a monthly sub.
This project is supported by The Heritage Council.
The Heritage Council logo displayed in accordance with guidelines.
Irish Seed Savers
Cloughjordan Community Farm is a guardian for the Irish Seed Savers Association who conserve Ireland’s special and threatened plant genetic resources. Their work focuses on the preservation of heirloom and heritage food crop varieties that are suitable for Ireland’s unique growing conditions. They maintain Ireland’s public seed bank with over 600 non-commercially available varieties of seed.